Yesterday was an interesting day for ShanKri-la. I started out fixing broken feed and ended up fighting annoying popups that had creeped into my blog. Read on, if you are into things like that.
Vinod kindly pointed to me that my feed was broken. Here is what went down if it’ll help someone else avoid the mistakes I made.
After my upgrade to WP 2.2.2, my 301 redirect stopped working. My link juice was getting diluted with shankrila.com not getting redirected to www.shankrila.com. So, I added some entries in my .htaccess file to achieve the same result. Good news: 301 redirect works now. Bad news: RSS feed is broken.
I started out by checking my blog’s source feed with Feed Validator. Checking your feedburner feed link may not help you much. I checked my http://www.shankrila.com/feed/rss.xml. Feed validator told me that this feed url is actually a web page and not a feed.
You can tell I was sratching my head rather hard at this point. So, I just type the .xml feed address into my trusted Firefox and bam I could see it redirecting loyally to www.shankrila.com because my source feed address did not have the www in it. It is one of those leftover things from when I started without the www and decided to go with it.
While troubleshooting this and identifying the cause of the problem, I was disabling some feed related plugins and I noticed this morning that the feeds weren’t the full text feeds. I have read that it could be a caching issue with Feedburner and hoping the full text feed will return with this post. If not, please hang in there and I will try to fix it ASAP. I hate partial feeds myself.
As I was working to fix the feed problem, I noticed this annoying popup ad with same overlay effect as a Lightbox script for viewing images.
I had that feeling of having been careless and let someone exploit a window left open by me. I thought some malicious code had ben inserted into my WP pages that showed these ads. I was about to change all my passwords to my hosting server, WP admin accounts, etc. I was about to disable a bunch of plugins that I had installed over the last month.
But, I took a deep breath and decided to look at the source of my home page in Firefox to see where the ad serving code was inserted instead of looking at each and every file in my WP install.
That’s when I found the offending Paypopup code right before the start of the content. The giveaway in this instance was a line with mediagridwork code that seemed out of place.
I just went ahead and removed AdGridWork code from my sidebar and the annoying popup ad stopped appearing.
AdGridWork is a free service where you can advertise your site for free. Your ads will be shown in other blogs in the network depening on how many ads you show. I am not sure if AdGridWork intentionally serves these ads or if their code just got compromised by someone. I just looked at the metrics from displaying their ads and it doesn’t seem to generate a lot of clicks anyways. So bye bye AdGridWork for me.