One of my recent adds to my daily read section in my feed reader is Kyle’s Cove. Kyle authors his technology blog and I find it very resourceful just in the few days I have been following and earned his way into our Blogroll. If you like ShanKri-la’s content, I am sure you will like Kyle’s Cove as I find our interests very similar and hopefully yours too.
Browsing through his site, I am inspired to create a reference page with links (he has a great section of links to guides & tutorials) to stuff that I look up often. I am yet to iron out how I want to organize that. I also like his way of having Blogroll in a separate page nicely categorized. I think it’s more informative that way to a reader than if it was just a long list of links.
Kyle has today posted about a great tool called Website Grader which I think every blogger should run by every now and then, like doing a quick health check. I know I am going to be doing atleast once every 2 weeks. At least as long as it is free (which it might end soon).
What does Website Grader tell me?
- Score: It showed me a quick score telling how I scored compared to all the other (35,000) sites that were submitted by a proprietary algorithm that takes into account like Google pagerank, traffic, website structure, etc. ShanKri-la scored 74.
- Google PageRank: ShanKri-la ranks 3 right now.
- Web Page structure: It identified that ShanKri-la didn’t have Meta keywords. Kyle has suggested a few WordPress plugins to address that.
- Domain info: I have been wanting to dig through my emails to see when it expired since I knew it was coming up. But, this quickly showed me when it was up. Also, it seems it might be bad in a SEO (Search Engine Optimization) sense to have your domain name expiring within a year! May be I’ll renew it for 2 years this time.
- Heading Summary: In my current theme, looks like my post titles are H3 and if I remember right a search engine friendly theme would have them as H2. (or am I day dreaming?)
- Image Summary: It reinforced my habit of using an ‘alt’ tag for images as those can be seen by search engines. I miss this basic feature in ScribeFire firefox extension for blogging though.
- Google Indexed Pages: I am guilty of overlooking this basic fact. I haven’t generated a sitemap and submit to Google yet! As a result, the only Google Page is indexing in ShanKri-la is the home page! No wonder I have only gotten like 20 search engine hits in the last 3 months. I have to get this done this weekend.
- Others: The report also shows Technorati rankings (45,559), number of people bookmarked me in del.icio.us (8), Alexa ranking (412,236) and readability level (5th grade – I wonder how many 5th graders are really reading this .
I hope, by taking a look under the hood of ShanKri-la, it makes you want to take a peek into your website and improve it.
If you subscribe to ShanKri-la’s feed, you might not notice what’s going on at the site but the visitors here might notice some changes as I play with new themes in the coming weeks. As I have mentioned before, I am looking to add some unobtrusive advertisements to monetize ShanKri-la. May be it will get me beer money or at least I’ll learn how not to do it.
I thank all the readers for giving me the motivation to do keep going and it’s worth the effort even if it helps one person. Even if you subscribe, do stop by and leave a comment once in a while as it would be great to know my readers and put a face to you.