Yes, that’s right. I’m talking about MySpace.com. In spite of newer social networking platforms gaining ground, MySpace.com still remains a force to be reckoned with in the social networking arena and they deserve some attention.
If you are wondering, I don’t have a MySpace page but a few of my friends do. Plus, a post on MySpace Private Profiles is one of the most popular here in our site, so I know some of my readers are interested in this as well.
MySpace Profile 2.0
MySpace has received a lot of flak due to privacy concerns about their user profiles. Now, MySpace has released last night their version 2.0 of their profile.
What’s New in Profile 2.0?
There are a number of changes that has been done to the new profile and here is my highlight
- Upgrade to new profile is optional. So don’t fret, if you don’t like the new one you can revert to the old one within 90 days
- Faster, more customizable and offers more privacy
- Privacy 2.0 – should give you granular privacy control. Show/hide parts of your profile. Share stuff only with only a few people that you can sort into categories.
- Speed – load time should be faster than profile 1.0. Ability to modify each module for faster load times. Lesser need for special MySpace hacks.
- Customization – Drag and drop modules on your profile to any location. Use basic templates to create your own custom layouts. You can input themes and layouts from third party sites though a specific CSS box.
- Web standards – The new profile is fully W3C compliant and that is good news for the web.
What about my current layout?
Old profile 1.0 layouts won’t work with Profile 2.0. So, if you REALLY want to keep that you don’t have to upgrade to version 2.0. If you do upgrade, MySpace will save your old profile for 90 days should you decide to revert back to it.
It remains to be seen how safe the MySpace Private Profiles 2.0 are! But, I think this is a step in the right direction for them.
Do you have a MySpace account? How do you like the new profiles?