4/22/11 Update: This service seems to be down now.
One gripe I have about the US cell phone companies is the exorbitant amount of money one gets charged if we ever go over the monthly minutes allowance.
I usually watch my minutes well and hardly ever go over my allocation. But, all it takes is once a year for a misstep and the overage bill could be as much as the monthly charge and if you were roaming or out of the country it could be a very fat figure.
WatchMyCell is a little freeware that is designed to run in your Windows computer and watch your cellphone balance minutes.
WatchMyCell Quick Facts
- Watches your balance minutes and sends an email or SMS alert if you are close to your limit
- Auto-starts and lets you configure the alerts
- Checks your minutes every 3 hours
- All information are sent by 1024 bit encrypted connection
- None of this information is stored ever in a website and all this information resides in your computer
- Works with AT&T/Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Spint/Nextel.
- It is totally FREE!
I am not sure if you need a utility just for the sake of watching your cell phone minutes. But, in this busy life it is all too easy to lose track of your balance minutes and it might be worth your while to have this running atleast more towards the end of the month.
I am not sure how many of the cell phone carriers offer an alert when a subscriber is about to reach their minutes for the month. I am not surprised that most don’t because they make a big chunk of their money from the overage charges.