Newsgator is the company behind the popular RSS feed readers FeedDemon for Windows & NetNewsWire for Mac. With freeware being so popular these days, Newsgator was successful in selling paid versions of FeedDemon and NetNewsWire so far.
Now, they have announced these 2 excellent feed readers FREE for all to download and use. In fact, these 2 programs have just gotten some major feature enhancements.
Newsgator products come with sync facility with their internet-based servers. This means that your FeedDemon in your laptop and NetNewsWire in your iMac will be in sync all the time. Plus, the free web based version Newsgator Online will be in sync as well.
FeedDemon Quick Facts
- Newspaper format in neat tabs & News bins for future reference
- Synchronization with all RSS suite products
- Find what’s popular with other Newsgator users as well as who is linking to the news items you read
- Watch embedded video in the newspaper view
- Panic button – mark everything as read when you come back after a break
- Watches – Watch for keywords as they are downloaded
- Search outside of your subscriptions and create a dynamic channel with the results
- Download podcasts automatically and copy them to your iPod or other media player.
- iPhone support at http://m.newsgator.com
I used my portable GreatNews desktop reader for the longest time before getting addicted to the online Google Reader. And my main reason was that I missed having the ability to read feeds when I didn’t have my USB drive with me in a browser.
I have decided to give FeedDemon a whirl just like I give everything else a try. Importing my Google reader XMl file was painless. I haven’t tried their online counterpart yet but I doubt if it will come close to Google Reader, my current favorite RSS reader of choice. I might eat my own words after I try it, but you will know if I do.
What is your feed reader of choice? With the ability to have your desktop and online RSS reader in sync, would you give a desktop reader a chance?