Hot on the heels of the completely revamped WordPress 2.5 release, here comes WordPress 2.6 with even more new features. I was kind of surprised to see another major release so soon but the features it brings are very cool and I will be upgrading my WordPress sites to 2.6 soon.
Let’s take a look at the features WordPress 2.6 has:
- Post Revisions – Wiki-like tracking of edits. Great for multi-author sites as well as individual owned sites to go back to previous versions of posts. I have several posts that I update frequently and just introduced a new sidebar item (click over to the blog to see) to showcase those. I’d like to see if the post revisions feature would enhance that for me!
- Press This! bookmarklet. You could post from wherever in the web like YouTube, Flickr, etc and this bookmarklet will open a Write page with the embed code already inserted for you. Definitely making it’s way to my Top browser Bookmarklets post.
- Theme Previews. Means one less plugin for me. I use the Theme Preview plugin to look at the blog design I am working on before you do. Now, WordPress can natively allow you to do that.
- Word Count
- Image captions. Sweet.
- Bulk management of plugins.
- A revamped image control that improves its handling, resizing, etc.
- Toggle between the flash and classic image loader
- Full SSL support and more
If these features don’t convince you to upgrade, how about this tidbit? WordPress 2.6 fixes ~194 bugs!!!
Here is a video review of the highlighted features from WordPress.
I have a feeling that this might tick off the general WordPress users. Because this means another upgrade shortly after the release of 2.5 & the security update 2.5.1. To me though, this just means that I am using a high quality open source software with a high energy development team that brings out the state of the art features into it’s releases very quickly. It’s probably the geek in me.
So, what do ou think about WordPress release schedule? Is it too soon? Are the new features, security fixes big enough for you to upgrade?
Shameless plug: My wife, Shriya, is working on setting up a WordPress shop to help her clients with installs, upgrades, theme customizations, theme development services, etc. Until that site is up, you could contact her through the contact form here or at SpicyTasty.com for any affordable WordPress related help.