I have looked this tip up atleast 3 times in the last few weeks. So, for my own sake (and for anyone else looking for it) I am writing this down here.
Of course there are multiple ways to do the same thing as in most things tech. Here is what worked for me.
- Use the magic wand and click on the background color
- Press shift and click on all areas you want to select
- Go to Select –> Inverse. This should select everything except the background.
- Go to Layer –> New –> Later via Copy. This will create a new layer with the image with transparent background. (Windows –> Layer to see all layers)
- Delete the original layer
if you have an easier or favorite way of doing this, share it in the comments.