We shop online for so many things these days with online sellers offering so many discounts, free shipping, etc.
ShanKrila even has it’s own Amazon store where I regularly add the stuff I like and recommend. Let me know if you have suggestions for me to add to the store.
But, with so many online purchases you might make every week how do you keep track of your receipts?
MyThings offers to help in this area. MyThings is a free web service that lets you track the purchase and organize receipts so you can easily create a list of products you own.
- Track your purchases and organize receipts
- Simply forward your receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org
- MyThings organizes and builds an online repository of your stuff
- Easily find receipts by retailer and date
- Get Manuals for your purchases
- From the MyThings community you can get and share tips for the products you buy. There is also an active forum if you have questions on anything related to the site.
- You can also find repair info, market value for your things using the Market Value Estimator
- If you collect antiques, art pieces, etc, you can also get valuation for your things.
- There’s no limit to the number of things you can add
- You can also add your things manually and add all details, images and even attach documents to your thing.
- You can make a thing you own public or private
- When you view a thing you own, you get tips for it, manuals and repair info and other deals related to it in neatly organized tabs.
- You can even sell your things on eBay!
I have organized my online receipts in a couple of ways.
- I have a copy of them in my Gmail account in a label named Receipts so I can quickly search for the one I need in Gmail
- I also usually print a PDF copy of the receipt and store it in a Dropbox folder so I can access it anywhere.
MyThings do offer an unique interface where you can store much more details about the products we own like the serial number, special marks, attach documents, images, etc.
Since we own a home, we have so many things to take care of and so many manuals lying around it is sometimes an impossible task to find the details we are looking for. I can see MyThings being a great repository of all this information that I can access quickly in addition to saving my receipts in one place in an organized fashion.
I did send an online receipt to the email address 5 minutes after I signed up. But, I don’t see it yet in my account so I can’t expand more on how it handles receipts yet.
But, it’ll be great if MyThings could expand its receipts handling to scanned receipts for items purchased in-store. Evernote can read scanned receipts and make it searchable and something like that will make this service even more valuable. But, for now I’ll be content with the ability to upload a scanned document.
Plus, the security aspect of the site is also pretty good and you can read about it in their About us section.
I would however like to see more ways to view my own collection of things and may be even tags to locate things quickly.
Would you trust and use a service such as MyThings? What other features would you like to see in there?