One of the big ticket items we purchase in our lives is our car. And when that starts having a problem, most of us are nervous about taking our car to a mechanic just like we are about getting our tooth pulled out at a dentist. Unless, we have a relative or friend who is knowledgeable and helpful with cars, that eases things a little bit.
What if you had a friend online, who can track all your services on your car(s), tell you how much your car is worth as well as tell you how much you can expect to pay when something breaks down?
DriverSide (beta) aims to be all that and more. DriverSide lets you create a virtual garage with your cars. It is not just aimed at car owners but also aimed at helping in buying and selling your car as well.
Garage for your Car
- Create a home for your car – select year, model, trim & color
- Instantly get technical specifications for your car
- Read reviews or write one yourself (My first car review)
- Get annual cost of ownership (to register, insure and operate)
- Links to other resources for your car
- Finally a list of similar cars for you to browse through
Service Your Car
DriverSide have collected a lot of data from auto mechanics around the country for various cars, the repairs and what they would cost. This is invaluable information.
- Ask other drivers questions about the car
- Read tips on servicing
- Find the best local mechanic
- Print a Pre-Service Report – an estimate for the repair based that includes labor and parts in your area
- Look at Recalls and Complaints for your car
- Check manufacturer’s Service schedule to see what’s coming up at that 50,000 miles mark
What It’s Worth
- Find out what your car is worth by DriverSide estimate or black book value for a trade-in or private sell.
- Also, a very cool feature is a value forecast. It’s a graph that shows what your car is worth at different mileage based on previous sales data in your area.
Parts & Accesories
- Browse popular parts & accesories for your car
- Parts for exterioir, interior, ebay listings, tires & rims, etc.
- Lists cars for sale and has a nice interface to refine your search to find the car you need
- You could also put your car for sale by adding pictures, videos, descriptions and features of your car
With car bigwigs like Cars.com, AutoTrader.com, Edmunds.com, etc DriverSide is entering a heavily saturated market of car websites. But, the features it offers and the user-friendly & intuitive interface is very welcoming. Plus, it has some unique features like getting a pre-service report & value forecast definitely makes me want to come back to this site.
Right now, it looks a little less active but as it gains traction and the word gets out, DriverSide is set to be come a car owner’s best friend.
One thing that would add even more traction to Driverside, would be the ability to track mileage along with the service and maintenance records in the car profile. A chart showing mileage history and the ability to map it with the oil changes, air filter changes, cheap tyres etc would be very insightful.
If you create an account for yourself and upload pictures of your car, share your garage in the comments. You can see K’s garage here.