Online files storage services make storing your files in the cloud and make it accessible anywhere. I use plenty of services like Google Docs, Windows Live Skydrive, Box.net, etc.
Some of the most popular services where you might be storing your files are Google Docs, Amazon S3, Windows Live Skydrive, etc. But, at best they are digital islands and you could access them via browser or through some special tools.
Gladinet is a tool that lets you mount these online storage as a virtual drive in your computer. This lets you access these files with Windows Explorer enabling you to drag and drop files in your very familiar interface.
A few services you can access via Gladinet
- Google Docs
- Google Picasa pictures
- Windows Live Skydrive (free 25GB storage)
- Amazon Storage
- Even mount your local directory and access from a remote location
- Add online web applications such as Gmail, Gtalk, Picasa, ThinkFree, etc.
- Use online applications on local files via Windows Explorer context menu
Gladinet’s tagline ‘Access Without Boundaries‘ is a fitting description of what this service is. It goes beyong letting you mount online services to your local drives. It blurs the distinction between local files and web applications, etc.
Gladinet is definitely a great and promising service that I am going to keep my eyes open for. It provides that integration that has been missing between my desktop and the various online services I use.
As a recap, here is what Gladinet does for you
- Access data from Online Storage services as a local folder
- Access data from remote machines
- One click access to all your online applications
- Access from your SysTray
- Access from Start Menu
- Access from Windows Explorer
- Access Online files with local applications
- Access Local files with Online applications
- Extend local hard drives with remote hard drives
- Extend local hard drives with Online storages
- Single sign-on stores your credentials for 1-click access
There are a few more extras you could get with upgrading to their standard version. All the above features are available with the free standalone version of Gladinet. And you don’t even need to register for an account!
The online storage as virtual drives is great as I can dump all my music files to my Windows Live Skydrive that has 25GB free space!
Leave a comment if you try this awesome service and I’d love to hear your feedback.