I recently came across the Group Writing Project at ProBlogger. There is a whopping number of people writing a Top 5 list of their choice and a lot of them make a great read. Plus, you get a shot at winning $1001. As my regular readers would know, I like to write about Firefox so why not give the prize money a shot as well?
With the article on Top Firefox Extensions remaining the most read here at ShanKri-la, I have chosen to list the Top 5 Firefox Extensions that I cannot live without.
- Web Search Pro
- The list of search engines that you could add to search is unbelievable and you can have it categorized to your whims. (Amazon, eBay, Wikipedia, Google Maps, Google Blog Search, Pricegrabber, Ninjawords are a few of my regular searches)
- You can select a text and drop it in the search box to search.
- You can designate your web page into ‘drag & drop’ zones for different search engines. I love this feature!
- You can tweak the behavior of the search box to start searching as soon as you copy, open search results in a new window/tab, etc.
- Supercharges the tab browsing capabilities of Firefox.
- It lets you tweak the settings to your hearts content and also has the ability to let you export and import those settings.
- Some of the features include duplicate tabs, tab focus on mouseover, undo last few tabs, etc.
- Control your mouse click options for eg. use middle click to close a tab.
- If you are into using the most of your monitor real estate as I do, you will love this extension. Especially if you are a laptop user with limited screen size.
- F11 gives a full screen. That’s not new. What’s new is you have full access to all the tabs in full screen mode. You will see the tabs and scrollbar if you mouse over to the top of bottom.
- Mouse Gestures
- Stop going to the toolbar with your mouse to perform browser functions like back, forward, reload, home page, etc.
- Use your mouse on the browser to draw lines and make the browser do what you want.
- Keystrokes are totally customizable.
- Use the Mouse Gestures guide in the beginning until you can remember your most used gestures.
- Firefox Extension Backup Extension (FEBE)
- Backup everything about Firefox that you would want to backup: profiles, username & passwords, bookmarks, form history, extensions, themes, plugins, etc.
- Schedule your backups to backup daily or if you are extension crazy like me maybe even every couple of hours.
- Easily copy your Firefox settings from one machine to another. On a new machine, just install FEBE extension in Firefox and import all the settings you want from the backup destination.
For a more extensive list of Firefox Extensions, feel free to visit our Top Firefox Extensions list. I have categorized the extensions so you can easily find what you are looking for. Also, do let us know what your favorites are.