Originally posted 2011-01-24 13:00:00.
If you do any amount of writing, you are probably used to software like Word, etc. The downside with the modern tools are that they are ripe for distraction with all the bells and whistles. Every version adds more features and more options to deal with.
Distraction free writing software are popular with professional writers. But, even folks who write occasionally stand to benefit from it.
WriteMonkey is one such free and powerful distraction free writing software. I have been using Windows Live Writer for my blogging on various sites. But, I have decided to give WriteMonkey a try to see if it helps with my writing.
There are a few reasons behind this. Even though the screen of this tool looks barebones, it is ripe with features and is hidden in a way that it doesn’t interfere with your writing.
- MarkDown and Textile markup support
- Full screen mode leaves you alone with your words
- Small, fast, stable and portable. No installation needed.
- Completely customizable
- Standard and clean text format
- Advanced statistics – words, characters, paragraphs, unique words, sentences, word frequencies, lexical density, Gunning Fig index, approximate reading time, etc.
- Visual progress bar
- Timed writing
- Jumps – unique navigating system
- Bookmarks and repository to store notes, drafts, etc.
- Inline comments just like your programming comments.
- As you type replacements
- Multi monitor support
WriteMonkey is a fantastic tool for writers and I am hoping to get some distraction free writing. Plus, it has all the features I am used to with Windows Live Writer – except image handling.
If you are a writer or have been experimenting with your writing, give WriteMonkey a try.
Download WriteMonkey (Windows)
Google-powered Related Articles
- No related posts found