I love geek tricks and especially Stupid Geek Tricks from the How-to-Geek.
As you might have painfully experienced, Windows Explorer is clumsy, slow and plain irritating at times. I have tried to use other Windows explorer alternatives and even got a Windows Explorer makeover. But, it still doesn’t match apps like Total Commander or Krusader (linux) in terms of usbaility and speed.
The How-to-geek has stumbled on to a brilliant idea that I am smacking my own head for not thinking about it.
7-zip is an excellent light weight archiving utility that I use everyday. It is even available as a portable app. (must have portable apps)
A lesser know fact is that the 7-zip utility has a 7-zip File Manager that is packed with all the features you’d want in a file browser. And blazingly fast.
7-Zip File Manager Quick Features
- Different file views – default detailed view
- Flat view, 2-panel view
- Remove archive & tools bar to make it look like a traditional file browser
- Create upto 10 bookmarks to favorite folders for quick access (hotkey enabled)
- Bring up Folder History with Alt-F12
- Hotkey (F7) to create New Folder
- Create shortcut to 7-Zip file manager to open with a certain default folder
Check out the How-to-geek article for more screenshots and 7-zip hacks.