We just looked at a free Blu-ray ripping software yesterday. I then professed my love for Handbrake for all my ripping and video conversion needs. I was looking for an alternative only to rip Blu-ray DVDs.
Lo and behold, Handbrake has released an update with version 0.9.5 with support for Blu-ray DVD structure. You can read the complete changelog for this version here.
Here are the changes to the core library
- BluRay disc structure support. (No decryption support)
- Updated Libraries (x264, ffmpeg)
- SSA Subtitle support. (Including burn-in)
- MP3 audio now supported in MP4 files (Note: Limited Player compatibility)
- VOBSUB subtitle now supported in MP4 files (Note: Limited Player compatibility)
- Updated Presets for newer devices and better quality
- AC3 encoding support.
- Many Bug Fixes and other small improvements
- Improved DVD Main Feature detection (when using dvdnav)
- Universal audio downmix support (all audio types can be downmixed)
- Point*to*Point encoding (second or frame start and end times)
- Peak framerate option (Capped VFR)
The update brings a lot of GUI changes as well so make sure you look at the changelog to get the full info.
Also, on the Mac side Handbrake doesn’t support the older PowerPC processors anymore.