I am glad to say that the RSS full feed woes are finally over for me. I hope I didn’t drive off too many readers with these problems.
What went wrong?
Although I would love to put my finger on it, the real cause is still eluding me. But, here is the sequence of steps that broke it and fixed it, if it’ll help anyone facing the same issue.
- I broke the RSS feed initially when I added a 301 redirect to direct my shankrila.com traffic to www.shankrila.com to my .htaccess file. Because my feed was http://shankrila.com/feed, it started getting redirected to the www address.
- I fixed that by changing the source feed address to include the www.
- Feed works, but only shows partial feeds.
- WordPress Admin -> Options show full text feed enabled.
- Disabled Full Text Feeds WP plugin.
- Disabled Feedburner Feedsmith WP plugin.
- Enabled Better Feeds plugin
- Source feed now shows full text feeds. – Use IE to verify as Firefox tends to show excerpts. Or you can use View Source in Firefox to see if the full text is pulled in the feed.
- Feedburner feed still shows partial feeds. Figured it might be a Feedburner cache issue and decide to give it some time. (pinging Feedburner multiple times didn’t have any effect)
- After 3 days, it still showed partial feeds.
- My initial Feedburner feed was pointed at http://www.shankrila.com/feed/rss. I decided to try http://www.shankrila.com/feed/rss2 instead and pinged Feedburner again.
- Full Text Feed works now!
I am yet to enable Feedburner Feedsmith plugin to capture all the feed traffic at one place but this was a good learning experience for me. Being a Database Administrator by day, I am anal about having a backup before changing anything in the blog. But, this one just caught me off guard.
Again, my apologies to those who were inconvenienced by this and a big thank you to all those who poured in suggestions and tips to help me resolve this problem.