Originally posted 2008-12-11 16:36:51.
WordPress 2.7 is here! As usual the WordPress community has been very active even when WordPress 2.7 was in beta and were publishing a lot of good resources. I have been reading them and collecting them.
What’s new in WordPress 2.7
- Ten New Features in WordPress 2.7
Demetris of op111.net has posted on 10 new features in WordPress 2.7. He talks about Mass Edit posts/pages, paging in comments, Inline quick edit, etc
- WordPress 2.7 Comment Enhancements
Otto dissects the new comment functionality in WordPress 2.7. He shows you how to create a WordPress 2.7 compatible coments.php.
- WordPress 2.7 Keyboard Shortcuts
WordPress 2.7 comes with keyboard shortcuts to the admin interface to make browse and moderating easier. Kyle of WP Hacks also has an useful post that goes into WordPress 2.7 keyboard shortcuts.
- WordPress 2.7 Publish Module
Mark Jacquith explains in this cool video, what’s new in the Publish module. Slightly older but still relevant if you want to know what’s new in 2.7.
- An In-Depth Look at 2.7 Updates
Theme Forest blog looks at the new updates in WordPress 2.7 with plenty of screenshots. If you are looking to get a quick overview of new things in WordPress 2.7, this is the post to read.
- Is Core Update Feature Compatible with my WebHost?
WordPress 2.7 introduces core update feature that makes upgrading WordPress manually obsolete in the future. WP Hacks shows you how to find out if you web host is compatible for this core update feature in 2.7.
- 5 Amazing New Features in WordPress 2.7
Nettus lists 5 cool features in WordPress 2.7 with a lot of eye candy. Have at it.
- WordPress 2.7 – Initital Impressions
Stylized Web has posted their initial impressions on WordPress 2.7.
- WordPress 2.7 – 20 Must See Features
A Mashable.com list of 20 must see features in 2.7
Upgrading to WordPress 2.7
Before you upgrade to WordPress 2.7, here are a few things to check:
- Official Upgrade Instructions
Also check the extended upgrade instructions.
- Is my theme WordPress 2.7 compatible?
Nathan Rice answers this probably most asked question when it comes to upgrading WordPress eloquently. Short verdict. Yes, it is compatible. Read the post for full details as to why.
- Check for Plugin Compatibility
WordPress Codex has a list of plugins that are compatible with 2.7 and those that are known to have issues with 2.7. Check this list before you upgrade.
- WordPress 2.7 Theme Compatibility
WordPress Codex also sports a list of themes that are compatible with WordPress 2.7. Find out if yours is listed. if not, follow Nathan’s advice.
- WordPress Automatic Upgrade Plugin by Keith
You can still use WPAU to easily upgrade to WP 2.7. I confirmed this personally with Keith via IM. It’s a bit sad that WPAU will be no more after 2.7 as WordPress gets this feature built in. Thanks for this
- Plugin Compatibility Notes
This WordPress plugins lets you know of potential plugins compatibility issues by adding the WordPress versions your current installed plugins are compatible with. So, instead of upgrading and trying to find out which ones are broke, you can see ahead which ones could give you
- How To Upgrade Automatically The Last Time To WordPress 2.7 In 5 Minutes!
Great tutorial showing you how to upgrade easily to the current release.
- WordPress 2.7 Upgrade Tips
Lorelle has posted an insane amount of tips tricks and gotchas when it comes to upgrading to WordPress 2.7. Check it out before you touch yours.
- 2.7 Upgrade in One Line
For those who love the command line, Hack a day has a one-line command for upgrading WordPress to 2.7.
Advanced WordPress 2.7 Resources
If you are a WordPress theme or plugin developer, a few of these articles could come in handy to make your theme or plugin compatible with WordPress 2.7 if you haven’t already done so.
- Making Your Theme Comments Compatble with 2.7 & Earlier Versions
Justin Tadlock delves into this nice topic and shows you how you can make your theme compatible with WordPress 2.7 as well as make it backwards compatibe with earlier versions. Aimed at theme developers.
- New Page Menu in WordPress 2.7
Another ustin Tadlock article shows you how the new function wp_page_menu() removes a lot of the work you may do with using wp_list_pages() function.
- Definitive Sticky Posts Guide
Sticky posts is a new feature in 2.7. Nathan Rice has an excellent guide on how to use, create and style sticky posts!
- Getting Your Plugins & Themes Ready for WordPress 2.7
Again WordPress Codex is the best place for any info related to WordPress. This post shows you how to migrate your plugins and themes so it’s compatible with WordPress 2.7.
- Top Level Menu in WordPress 2.7
WP Engineer shows us how to add icons to menus in the top level in the admin interface.
- How to Improve WordPress Plugins
Again, WP Engineer shows plugin authors how they can take advantage of the new 2.7 vertical menu and add icons to their plugin menu.
- 2.7 Comment Classes
Fun with WordPress blog explains how the new WordPress 2.7 Comment Classes look when you view it visually. This would help anyone tweaking the comments.php file for styling.
- Blogging Tips Themes Enhancements – I
Shows you how to enhance your theme for WP 2.7.
- Blogging Tips Themes Enhancements – II
Sarah shows you how to make use of the new comment options.
- Blogging Tips Themes Enhancements – III
Sarah shows you how to make use of the new comment features.
Plugins for WordPress 2.7
- Compatibility Notes
Compatibility Notes is a simple WordPress plugin that will attach a list of supported WordPress versions to every plugin’s description on the “Plugins” page.
- Post Notes
On its own, this plugin adds a text area on the sidebar of the add and edit post pages so that users can add notes for themselves or others.
- 20+ WordPress 2.7 Compatible plugins
Mashable has put together a great list of plugins your shiny new 2.7 install can handle.
- Make Simple Tags Plugin Work
Ask VG has this hack to make Simple Tags plugin work in WordPress 2.7
- Top WordPress Plugins
A continously updated list of WordPress plugins by yours truly. Bookmark this to find new WP 2.7 compatible plugins.
- 2.7 Plugin Compatibility List
Codex has a list of plugins that are compatible with 2.7 and those that
are known to have issues with 2.7. Check this list before you upgrade.
And, if you are wondering with so many significant changes in 2.7, why wasn’t it named as 3.0, this post Why 2.7 is not 3.0 will clear that up for you.
Also, Six Apart, the company behind the rival blog platform Movable Type has come out with WordPress 2.7 Upgrade Guide again!
If you enjoyed this list, please take a moment to Stumble, Digg, Tweet or share it with your fellow WordPress bloggers through your favorite social meda tools.
Google-powered Related Articles
- No related posts found
Top Stuff Series
- 40+ Best WordPress Plugins for 2011
- Top 5 GreaseMonkey Scripts for StumbleUpon
- Top Greasemonkey Scripts for GMail & Google Reader
- 5 Great Ways to Use Google Alerts
- 4 Cool Ways to Track Flights
- 5 Ways to Find Free Music Using Google
- 12 Must have Portable Apps for your USB drive
- 5 easy ways to read RSS feeds
- ShanKri-la’s Top 5 Firefox Extensions
- Ready for a Serious Windows Explorer Makeover?
- Top Greasemonkey Scripts for New Gmail 2.0
- Top Browser Bookmarklets
- Free High Quality Open Source Software In One Disc – OpenDisc
- Top Web Applications Best Suited for Mozilla Prism
- Top WordPress 2.7 Tips, Hacks, Plugins & Resources
- 3 Great Ways to Run Gmail From Desktop
- Top 10 WordPress 2.9 Features You Should Know