It’s exciting times in the WordPress world! The release of WordPress 2.7 with its cool new features and improvements just feels like yesterday. My WordPress 2.7 resources post is still popular in the search engines!
And WordPress 2.8 beta 1 has been released! So, I grabbed a copy of it and installed it to take a look at what’s in store for us.
WordPress 2.8 New Features
WordPress lovers, we have a ton of new features/improvements although a lot of them subtle. I’ll try to highlight a few that I loved to see. You can read the complete list at the WordPress blog linked at the bottom.
- Improved Admin icons
- Search/Install new Plugins/Themes from Admin
- Theme editor gets syntax highlighting
- Upto four columns for Dashboard widgets
- Post via e-mail – just set up an email account with POP3 access and go!
- Auto-save post/page with Ctrl+S
- Description field for tags
- Setting timezone made easy – choose a city in your timezone
- Improved database performance
- Using SimplePie for widget and dashboard feeds
- Using TinyMCE 3.2.3
- Better script loading performance
- Enhanced support for custom taxonomies
- Proxy support via wp-config.php – great for Intranet WordPress installs to get updates to plugins, themes, etc
- jQuery 1.3.2 with minify support
- New Widgets API
- Menu reordering via Plugin
WordPress is looking better than ever with 2.8! It’s great to see the community involvement and the fast release cycle. With the easy auto-update feature in WordPress 2.7+, I like the fast development cycle better than ever.
Google-powered Related Articles
- No related posts found