Gmail has been seeing some excellent improvements lately with color coded labels, improved Ghat features, improved performance, etc.
We can say some of these new features were actually been driven by the community through Greasemonkey (?) scripts to improve Gmail functionality. Gmail team is smart enough to recognize some of these scripts and actually integrate into Gmail.
But, when Gmail updated their code to what’s been dubbed as Gmail 2.0, a lot of Greasemonkey scripts broke. Now, the script authors are coming around to rewriting them and when I looked around today I found so many awesome scripts that have already been updated.
Here’s a few for you Gmail & Greasemonkey fans in no particular order!
- Modified Gmail Macros v. 2.0 – This script provides extra customizable keyboard shortcuts and macros. It is one of the popular scripts loved by Gmail users.
- Gmail – Insert HTML Signature – 2.0 – I have dearly missed HTML signature since Gmail 2.0 broke existing scripts. Mark Bigelow has got this script working and it is even better than before. You can easily select from your set of signatures from the left side bottom just like labels! Awesome implementation, if you ask me.
I used Gmail Signature Float script but it hasn’t been updated at the time of writing this to work with the new Gmail code.
- Folders4Gmail – You can organize labels into subfolder like hierarchy. Create a parent label like Home and then create sublabels like Home\Bills, Home\Receipts, etc. I thought I never needed folders but this makes using labels so easy to use with the new colors!
- Enhance Gmail – This is one of my new favorites. It integrates Google Calendar and Google Chat ( a better flash version) neatly into Gmail so you can access them without leaving Gmail. The script author just updated this script to display the Calendar below Gmail instead of in the side (not everyone has a widescreen monitor) and I love it!
You even get options to customize width of Calendar and turn on/off GCal or GChat integration independently.
- One Click Conversations for GMail – Works with both new and old versions of Gmail. Easy one click of messags to preview email and now it adds an icon by the sender name to see all emails by the sender! Nifty.
- Gmail Real Estate (Minimize Header, Nav or Ads) – Enables hide and show capability to the header, navigation & ads to maximize your real estate! Very helpful if your laptop screen real estate is limited.
- Gmail Beautifier – You could use this to collapse the ride side bar when you are reading messages. Again, helps with the real estate while reading messages.
- Gmail Account Multi-Login – Do you use multiple Gmail accounts? Don’t we all? With this script, you can easily switch between Gmail accounts through a select box at the top without ever signing out. (it’s probably not secure but a huge time saver if you are careful)
- Gmail Quota Graph – Totally frivolous but if it’s your thing to keep track of Gmail’s quota increases, this one neatly displays a graph for you.
- Gmail Label Hider – If there are some labels in your inbox you don’t want someone peeking over shoulder to see, this script can help you with that. Just rename your label to start with ‘x_’ and you won’ see it.
- Gmail Contact Book – Adds a contact book besides the To, CC, BCC when you compose an email.
- Gmail attachment reminder v3.0b – If you have a word ‘attach’ ed/ment in your email body, this will prompt to remind you to attach a file. I so need this one.
- Gmail in Blue v3.0 – A clean blue skin for Gmail. Removes footer, ads & logo. Adds some nice hover effects on messages and incoming email gets highlighted by yellow momentarily. Very nice and one of my favorites!
- FB Gmail – If you are FaceBook user, get FB notifications right in your Gmail with this script.
- Gmail v2 Tango 0.1 mod – Modifies the Google links at the top of Gmail to much nicer and useful links.
- Gmail Full Width 2 – Again removes ads and makes your reply screen to full width. Not that it also removes the Map This option if you use that often.
- Gmail Fixed Navigation for Newer Gmail – Makes your sidebar fixed for easy access to labels and other options when you are scrolling up and down.
My last post on Top 15 Greasemonkey Scripts for Gmail & Google Reader was really well received. So, I figured you are looking for scripts for the new version as well.
Bonus Gmail 2.0 Style (updated 11/12/08)
You are probably using the new Gmail Labs feature – Superstars. Gmail SuperStars Turbo Stylish script gives you more choices on the icons you can use for starred items in your inbox.
Have I missed a script you love and use? Let me know and I’ll update the list with it. Bookmark this post or Stumble it with the buttons below! Thanks for the love.